Silver jewellery does become tarnished and dull over a period of time. There is nothing you or I can do about the chemical process. The black dull appearance is due to silver sulfide (you can read more about it here) Although taking care of your jewellery postpones this, let’s face it, it is inevitable. So here is a quick and easy way that takes less than 5 minutes to clean your silver jewellery and renew it’s sparkle!
- Toothbrush (preferably one with soft bristles) If your jewellery has intricate designs or a soft cloth would do
- Ensure your toothbrush is wet and ready to use. If you are using a soft cloth, use a damp one.
- Take a little toothpaste on your hand and apply it on your jewellery.
- Using your toothbrush gently rub the toothpaste into the crevices to ensure that it is cleaned completely.
- After a minute or so, wash your jewellery and wipe it dry immnediately using a soft cloth or tissue.
- Viola! Your silver jewellery will look as good as new!
Here is a before and after picture for you to see the difference.
You can view my post on how I store my earrings here. I would strongly advise you to store your silver jewellery in the box that it comes in. Store each of your silver pieces separately and ensure they don’t come in contact with one another. This would prevent tarnishing for a longer period of time.
Hope this post was useful! How do you clean your silver jewellery? Let us know in the comments below
Image credits: Ghayathri