Finally the Office Edition of Jhumka Diaries is here! And I’m going to start off by stressing on a few things that you SHOULD be avoiding when it comes to wearing something ethnic to office, especially in a conservative environment.
Mixing too many prints: Never mix too many prints. This is a general rule when it comes to ethnic wear for any occasion. Do not wear a top, a chudidar/salwar and a dupatta with prints. You’ll be the “Star” of the day for all the wrong reasons! 😀
Here is an outfit I put together to give you an idea. A plain off white top, a plain brown-taupe color chudidar along with a printed kalamkari dupatta looks crisp and yet right for a conservative office scenario. If you decide to go with printed tops go with a plain salwar/chudidar and a plain dupatta (think blue printed top and a white chudidar and dupatta).
|Top: Fab India
Chudidar: Shoppers Stop
Here are a few things that I would like to make clear when it comes to wearing ethnic wear to work:
- NEVER wear leggings to work, since it isn’t appropriate work clothing.
- Also I wouldn’t recommend wearing synthetic salwars/sarees to work. It does not look appealing and again, is not appropriate for an office scenario.
- If you are on the heavier side wear a printed top. Always go for a knee length or a full length kurta while wearing a chudidar. If you are short, make sure you wear a chudidar instead of a salwar.
- If you find that pure cotton kurtas get crumpled easily, go for a cotton mix.
- Cotton sarees look crisp and elegant. Depending on the colors pair it with bronze or silver jewellery.
Statement earrings: Statement earrings are a NO-NO to work! No jhumkas either. I would recommend wearing earrings like you see in the picture below. For the outfit shown above, I would probably pick the bronze earrings or the teracotta butterfly ones.
Too many pieces of jewellery: A lot of people wear earrings, bangles, necklaces, anklets and hair accessories to work which sadly do nothing to enhance their look or outfit. When you decide on wearing a particular bracelet like the one shown below, go for a simple pair of earrings. I would recommend a stud with pearls or just simple rings. If you decide to wear a neck piece go for a pair of earrings that would let your neck piece be the star and maybe a finger ring or two. Nothing more.
So hopefully this helped 🙂 Will be back next Sunday with more. Till then do leave your comments and requests in the comments section below 🙂
If you still have doubts regarding pairing jewellery or clothes, do not worry. There will be more detailed articles on these and OOTDs as well.